Tyrus Elmo Washburn and Miriam Kathryn Madsen Family History

Please leave your contact information after any post if you have additional family stories, memories, pictures, etc. to share.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lorena Eugenia Washburn Part 13

The Journey to Sanford, Colorado
May, 1889

On account of the persecution of the men in polygamy, my husband decided to go to San Luis Valley, Colorado. He came to Redmond where I and the children had been living since late January, and said he would take us to Huntington and leave us there while he, with a company of others went to Colorado, and there he would make a home for us.

My brother Daniel lived in Huntington, Emery Co., and my husband wanted me to stay there, but I was to be confined in August. We were without money, and I just felt that it was too much for me to be dependent on my brother who was a poor man, and just at that time he and his wife were in Monroe at my father’s house, and she was sick with typhoid fever. So I plead with my husband to let us go with him, as he was totally unwilling to let me return to my own home, though I longed so to be there again.

In May, as the time drew near for my husband to go to Colorado, and I must go somewhere farther away from my home, it was a great trial to me. I could scarcely endure it to be away from the little home which we loved so much and from my mother and sisters and relatives who were very dear to me, and be confined among strangers, and my three sweet children who needed my care every hour, and money scarce, and where would the necessary help come from to take care of the children and me?

In a Dream I Was Shown the Way
1887 or 1888

One night I had a very wonderful dream, I thought I was traveling on a lonely desert road. And all at once I met my father who had died some time before, I was so glad to see him. He said, “My daughter would you like to go with me?” I told him I would like it very much. We started back the way he had come, and soon entered a very beautiful city. We entered at about the northwest [Page 76] corner of the city. The houses were all white or very light in color, and extremely beautiful. Everything in the city was in perfect harmony and order. Father took me into a beautiful mansion which was his home, and into a bedroom. There were a fine bed and easy chairs in the room. I sat down on one of the chairs, and was so happy for I though the room was my room, and that I was going to stay in that wonderful place. As I was rejoicing, father and mother came into the room and lay down on the bed to rest. Then I realized it was not my room, and I was very much disappointed.

When they had rested awhile they got up and father said, “Let us go and see the city.” It was evening but not dark, a great comet was above the city, and turned round, and round. It just played in the heavens, its tail extending downward. It was a real ornament, a beautiful sight to behold. It lighted the city and surrounding country.

We visited many places, where work of various kinds was being done. There was perfect order in every department. I longed to take part in the work at some places, but was not permitted to do so. At one place many people were dancing. They were dancing reels and quadrilles, but needed no caller – every movement and step was perfect, oh how I longed to join them, but again was not permitted. We went on and enjoyed the beauty of that wonderful city, every person we saw was busy, and perfect order prevailed everywhere. We finally entered a large room, or meeting hall, on the southeast corner of the city where people were gathering, and we took seats. The seats were arranged all around the wall. Soon after we entered, the people were all seated. A south door stood open, and Bishop Andrew Moffit entered with his arms filled with rolls, which resembled school certificates, and he passed them around to the people. When he gave me one I was overjoyed, I thought now I know I can stay here, but he came back and took mine.

I looked around and saw people younger than myself who had theirs, and I wondered why he had taken mine. He stepped to the center of the room and said, these are certificates from the Lord, and those receiving them, no matter what they desire in the future, it shall be given them, but these certificates are only for those who are educated, and fully prepared to receive them.

At this period a person came into the room and told me I was wanted outside, so I followed the messenger, and he led me through an opening between the buildings and out onto the edge of the city, and we looked down onto the earth. [Page 77]

He said, “You must go now, the wagon is waiting for you.” I looked and saw a covered wagon, the kind that was used at that time. It looked so repulsive to me compared to the things I had just seen that I felt that I could not endure to travel in such a vehicle.

The messenger said, “I have come to show you the road you must travel.” He pointed to the south on the earth below us. I looked in that direction. He said, “You will have to cross those awful rivers, and when you come to them it will seem to you that it is impossible to cross; and your only danger is in becoming excited, in those dreadful places. I have confidence in the driver for he is a man of great experience.” Those rivers came from a great mountain which was south and east of us. On their banks grew innumerable trees, we could hear their waters roar from where we stood.

The road in the valley was a short distance from the great east mountain, it was a rough road. Some distance ahead it turned toward the mountain. The messenger at my side said, “You will have to climb that mountain. It is very steep and rough. You will come to places that will seem impossible to climb. It’s an awful road, and so you will not be alone in all this, I will go with you.”

I looked and saw every particle of the road to the top of the mountain, and my heart grew sick, and my courage failed.

The road went south in the valley, then turned east onto the mountain side, where great boulders often blocked the pathway. The road was very steep in many places. After coming to the top of the mountain, it took a curve to the north, the mountain top for miles was grassy, smooth, and beautiful, then far to the north the road turned to the west, and came right back to the city where I had entered with my father.

The sight of the first part of that road had filled me with such dread, that I felt I could not undertake such a journey without the advice of my parents, so I asked the messenger if I might go back into the city and talk with someone about it for a few minutes. He told me I could.

I went back to the room which I had left a short time before, but the people had gone, the room was empty. I went onto the street and looked everywhere for some one that I knew. I opened the doors of buildings. Everybody was busy, the same perfect order prevailed. Everything was beautiful beyond description, but the people were all strangers to me. Finally I opened a door and entered a room. The room was filled with women sewing, and in the center of the room [Page 78] sat Sister Ann Tidd. I said, “Oh Sister Tidd, I am so glad to see you.” I then told her all that the messenger had said to me, and of the dreadful road he had pointed out which he said I must travel; I said, “What shall I do?” She said, “If you only knew the reward there is for traveling that road you would never hesitate.” I said to her, “Have you ever traveled that road?” And she said, “No, I never had the privilege.” Then I decided I would go and do my best. I awoke.

1932

I have traveled that road, and God has sustained me, and while traveling on the rough parts, at intervals, He sent to me the choicest gifts of heaven, my children, who have stood firm and true by my side in all the battles of life, and are still the same.

Yes I have been richly rewarded for traveling on that road, in the hard, yet rich experiences which I have gained, and my splendid children, and the great blessings, spiritual and temporal, which God has showered down upon us. He has truly been with us to this hour.
Kamas, winter 1932 L. E. W. L.

No comments:

Post a Comment