Tyrus Elmo Washburn and Miriam Kathryn Madsen Family History

Please leave your contact information after any post if you have additional family stories, memories, pictures, etc. to share.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lorena Eugenia Washburn Part 7

Dream, and History

In the early winter of 1879 I had no thought of marrying Bent Larsen, but one night I dreamed that we were at a dancing party, and he took me to his home, and pled with me to marry him. A short time after I had dreamed this, it happened just that way.

We were taught in those days that there was no way to get to the highest degree in the Celestial Kingdom, only by plural marriage; and my patriarchal blessing said that I was heir to all the blessings of Sarah, and of all the daughters of Israel, and if I would obtain them, I must yield obedience to the law of Sarah.

I believed Bent Larsen to be a thoroughly religious, straight-forward and splendid man, and though it was a hard thing to do, and it required so much sacrifice on my part, yet I finally consented, after Aunt Julia said she would feel worse if I did not marry him, than if I did.

We started in mid-February and traveled to St. George by team, Bent taking a load of freight to Silver Reef at the same time.

He and Nephi J. Bates had arranged to go to St. George together. Bro.Bates was taking Sarah Ann Collings to be his second wife.

In those days if men were going into poligamy their recommends had to be sent to the President of our Church for his approval before marrying a plural wife.

When we left Monroe, Brother Bate’s recommend had not yet returned, but was expected with the next mail, and he expected to join us the next day.

We camped that night in Clear Creek Canyon, and next morning early we were at the foot of the great hill where men had to double team to get on top. There was a group of freighters there ahead of us, doubling teams and swearing a bit. A very mild friendly looking man who sat on a knoll by the roadside came down and asked Mr. Larsen if he would please double team with him.

They took our wagon up first so I would not have to be left with that group of men while they were gone. [Page 37]

I must confess it was a bit lonesome sitting on top of the mountain while they were gone to bring the other wagon up. This man was a stranger to us, and when we were safely on top of the Clear Creek hill, we bade him good day and traveled on.

After leaving Cove Fort it began to snow and the snow increased in volume as the hours went by, finally the snow was so deep that the brush was covered, and the whole country looked like a level white carpet. We reached Pine Creek in the very late afternoon. And procured a camp house, wood, and hay for the horses from a red headed fellow who was stationed there to sell hay to travelers.

It was surely fine to see, and feel the warmth of the blazing fire after being in such a dreadful storm.

We had a warm dinner which we cooked over the fire, and every sound we heard we thought it must be Bro. Bates and Sarah Ann coming. Finally at about 9:30 Bent brought the bedding in (which included a feather bed). I made my bed in one corner by the side of the fire place, and he made his in the far corner of the room. At this point we heard the loud creaking of wagon wheels in the snow, and knew there was a new arrival. I told Bent to go out and if it was anyone except Bro. Bates and Sarah Ann, to have them get another cabin, as I simply would not have strange men in the room where I slept. He went out and soon returned telling me that it was the man who had doubled teams with him in the morning, and that he was nearly frozen.

This man had never driven a team in his life until he left Elsinore the day before, and that after we left him that morning he had been impressed to follow, overtake, and travel with us to St. George, as he was going to Arizona.

Bro. Larsen brought him in, gave him a warm dinner, and as he sat there he told of his experience that afternoon and evening in the storm. After leaving Cove Fort and as long as the road was partly clear he was all right, but when the snow got so deep that the road was no longer visable, he was lost. He had never been in that part of the country before, and didn’t know where to go, nothing but a white blanket of snow in every direction, so many times during that afternoon and evening he knelt down and asked the Lord to lead his team in the right direction, that he might not perish in the snow. And when he was just about giving up hopes, he saw the glimmer of our firelight through the window which wasn’t so far away. The windows of the cabin were on the west side toward the highway which ran north and south. [Page 38]

There was no water at this camping place in winter, and the next morning after breakfast Bent and Mr. McDonald were directed by the camp tender to take their horses to the east mountain and behind a certain hill where he said they would find a spring of water. At the same time he was urging me to come over to his cabin and stay while they were gone. I didn’t like the looks of the fellow at all. He looked like a villain to me, and I was afraid of him. I asked the men to let me ride with them to the mountains but they said I would freeze to death.

Mr. McDonald said you are worried but take this (unbuckling his revolver) if necessary use it, but I think you will be all right without. A large black wooly dog belonging to P. S. Quist had followed us when we left Monroe and the men said keep the dog with you too.

They went to the mountains and stayed so long that it seemed like ages to me. I buckled the revolver belt around my waist, took the dog and walked back and forth on the south side of the cabin in plain sight of the mountains, while the fellow stood outside his cabin across the street watching me. After about 2 hours I saw them come around the corner of the hill, it was surely a relief to see them.

The winter had been a severe one; there was lots of old snow, and with the fresh snow it made difficult traveling. Mr. McDonald didn’t know a thing about guiding a team, and that day going from Pine Creek to the top of Wild Cat Canyon, Bent had to go back 3 times with his team, and get McDonald’s wagon onto the road because he couldn’t keep the track. Then he would bring McDonald up to our wagon, and we would start again. Bent would look back occasionally to see if all was well with our neighbor. The country was rather rolling, lots of hills and hollows, and often nothing could be seen of McDonald. We would wait, sometimes for long periods, and when he did not appear we knew he was fast in the snow. Bent would unhook the team and go back. I would crawl back in the wagon leaving the dog on the spring seat, and when a group of freighters came by I would have my hand near the loaded revolver while they passed.

That night before dark we got to the top of Wild Cat Canyon. The men waded in snow waist deep and got wood, came back and dug a deep hole in the snow to make a fire. A fierce cold wind blew up the canyon. The men made a big fire, I came out of the wagon, and stood by the fire to get warm, but the fierce wind chilled me to the bone, and the fire melted the snow until it sank lower and lower and finally was in a pond of water and going out. There was nothing for ]Page 39] me to do but go back into the wagon, in a freezing condition. Bent made the bed for me, putting the featherbed on with the covers. He took safety pins and pinned a heavy quilt in the front of the wagon to the wagon cover. I got in and went to bed, almost frozen, my teeth chattering. He tried to fasten the bottom of the quilt down to shut off the wind, but it was so fierce that it blew the quilt straight up against the bows. The men were sleeping in McDonald’s wagon which was directly behind ours, and sheltered from the wind. Bent came several times to try and fasten the quilts down, but in vain. Well I was so cold and the wind so fierce, that I never expected to see the morning, and I surely wished I was at home snug in my own bed.

When I had given up hope, I didn’t get any warmer, and that awful wind blowing over me like an iceburg. The dog jumped up and came into the wagon, and when the quilt which was pinned in the front of the wagon (but which was blown straight in most of the time) came down with a sudden flop the dog jumped onto it and lay down snug against the front end of the wagon box, on top of the quilt, and on the bedding which covered my feet. After a while with the wind shut off and the dog lying on my feet I got warmer and fell asleep. That dog saved my life that night.

Next morning some freighters from Beaver came along and with great difficulty passed our wagons. On seeing me, one fellow said my g- here is a woman. Do you know the snow right here is 20 feet deep. It’s never been so deep here before.

That day we went to Beaver and stayed all night at the home of an old gentleman by the name of White. He had a lovely home, and during the evening told us several very interesting stories, his personal experiences. Bro. White had a dromedary which was a novelty to me, and quite interesting.

As we traveled on Bent had to go back to help McDonald, and when we were 8 miles from Buck Horn springs his traveling became so difficult that we had to leave his wagon, as darkness came on and go to Buck Horn Springs to get shelter for the night. There were two fellows at that station, and next morning when our men were going back for McDonald’s wagon, I refused to stay at the Springs, preferring to ride one of the horses back in the cold, rather than being left behind with those tough looking fellows, and thereafter I would not be left alone on the road any more.

We were obliged to camp out a few times and found that McDonald was quite an entertainer, he gave a lot of fine readings by the camp fire, and told stories of his life. [Page 40]

He was a Scotchman, had lived in Salt Lake for some years, and was acquainted with the L. D. S. Church authorities. He and his wife had had some difficulty, and he had been advised to leave Salt Lake for a while to prevent her from getting his property, so he came to Elsinore and had stayed for 3 months at the home of Soren Peterson. Then during the first part of February, he bought a new wagon, and a team, and took some freight and started for Dixie and Arizona. And on arriving at St. George Pres. McCallister was so well acquainted with him that he took him into the temple without a recommend.

That night we stayed in St. George, Feb. 24, 1880. Joel Johnson and his brother came along on a wagon. He insisted that I go to their home and stay all night. They lived between St. George and Washington. I refused but he stayed and plead with me to go. Bent when he heard him pleading instead of coming to our campfire and helping me to get rid of Joel, he went off up town and did not return until Joel had left. I was rather out of patience with Bent for leaving me in such a situation.

We were married in the St. George temple on February 25, 1880. On our homeward journey the snows were melting, and when we arrived home they were planting grain.

From the time I was married, Aunt Julia and I took turns milking the cows and doing the house work. She would do the cooking and kitchen work one week while I did the milking, and took care of that department, and then we would change for a week.

We did the washings together. And when the autumn came and the potato starch was to be made, we worked together. With hand graters, we grated the potatoes and made from 50 to 100 lbs. of dry starch annually, which was used for cake, puddings, and the laundry.

We made all our laundry soap, usually a year’s supply at one time, and stored it in the attic.

We carded our own wool bats on hand cards and made our quilts and we had a goodly supply of them.

I lived in the same house, and ate at the same table with Aunt Julia 7 years. We never quarreled, but were often badly tried with anxieties. [Page 41]

About March, or April, 1880, I dreamed I was in a great mill, had worked there for years, and years, along with many other people. All at once we were notified that we must quit our work, gather our families, and be ready for the judgement day. I went outside, and there I saw a level country stretching away for many miles on either side.

There was a gathering place not far away, and people were coming toward it from all directions. And as I approached I discovered that the Apostles were judges. As I came nearer I saw my husband standing on a platform before one of the Apostles. I did not hear what was said, but I soon found that my husband had been assigned a certain place east and a little south from where the Apostle sat.

Then Aunt Julia and her family stood on the platform before the same Apostle, and she was (and they were) directed to go to the same place.

Next I, and my large family stepped onto the platform. We stood there for some time, the Apostle just looked at us. I looked over to the place where Pa, and Aunt Julia were, and they were feeling pretty badly, they were crying. I don’t know why, but it didn’t affect me in the least to see them cry. Then Aunt Julia came over to the Apostle and said “what have we done that we must be separated.” The Apostle said the place there was not prepared for her and these. Aunt Julia went back crying.

Then the Apostle said to us, “I would that I could take thee to myself.” And I awoke.

Next morning I went to my father, and told him my dream, he said “my daughter you have seen the judgement day as it will be, but I hope the part about you and Brother Larsen was just a little Joke.”

To My Husband

I love thee more husband dearest
Than all the world beside
And am thankful dear companion
That I have become your bride.

Thy memory I fondly cherish
And think of thee where’ere I roam
And I love to kneel beside thee
In our pleasant happy home.

[Page 42]

I have left my splendid parents
And some friends who would die for me
Have given up all things earthly
To unite my destiny with thee.

Then don’t forget me dear one will you,
In the future time to come.
Think how tenderly you loved me
When this heart of mine you won.

My path was strewn with thorns and flowers,
Before I met you, husband dear.
The future now is bright with sunshine
And my heart hath not a fear.

Yet, future prospects may be blighted.
And the earth be filled with gloom
Storms may threaten, dark clouds gather,
Or friends be laid in the silent tomb.

Still I beseech thee husband dearest
To prove true to those that God has given
Love me ever husband dearest,
And lead me on to heaven.

In December, 1881, my husband went to Milford to find work to earn some money. Aunt Julia and I grated about 8 or 10 bushel of potatoes, on hand graters, and made about 80 or 90 lbs. of potato starch. We were both pregnant. Aunt Julia was not feeling extra well, so she got her mother to come each morning and help me lift the tubs of starch, as the water must be changed every day until it was perfectly clear; I was not strong myself, but was too timid to mention it, so in a few days I found myself very ill.

I was in dreadful pain for five days. The pain would come on very early in the morning, and last until evening, such dreadful pain, then for a few hours during the night I slept. A midwife by name of Mary Griffith was with me the first day, but she was called to Geldings’ home the second morning early. They had twins that day. And so they brought Julia’s Aunt Stena Christiansen, she said I was thru, and she put ice packs on me. Oh I was a sick girl. The fifth day I was so ill that mother stood by my bed, and would raise me up very often, so I could breathe more easily. I offered a silent prayer for hours during the afternoon and early evening that God would bring me some relief. [Page 43]

My brother Parley came just after dark, and asked if there was anything he could do. I asked him to go and get Andrew Rasmason and David Griffith to come and administer to me. Bro. Griffith was a man of great faith, but was a sort of invalid or cripple. He had to lean forward and have one hand across his back while walking, so he had to walk slowly. Andrew Rasmason arrived first, he came in and looked at me, and saw how very sick I was, and without saying a word to anyone, he went to the mantle piece, above the fireplace, took the bottle of oil and began to anoint my head. The instant the oil touched my head every particle of pain left me. It seemed that heaven itself had descended upon me, such peace, can only be understood by being taken suddenly from the most excruciating pain to perfect ease.

After Brother Griffith arrived the elders sat and talked awhile finally Bro. Griffith said, “I feel that there is a good spirit here, but I feel also that we must administer to her again,” and while they administered I was delivered without a particle of pain.

My husband was a Norwegian, and in Norway, he had often said, confinement was just a day’s work in the house, and he thought that it was just an American fashion for women to lie in bed so long and rest for 3 weeks. So I felt that I must get to work as soon as possible, and one week later I washed the dishes and thereafter helped with the housework, until my health broke and I went to mother’s to stay for a while. I had prolopsus of the uterus, and was weak and nervous, and for months was almost an invalid, just from trying to live up to old country ideals.

My husband returned in a few months, and my health slowly returned. And with home making and M. I. A. work, the time passed rapidly and quite happily on.

In the summer of 1881 my husband was called to go on a mission to Norway, his native land. So we all went to work making preparations for his departure. On September 24, I and Aunt Julia had a surprise party at our home for him. (He had always said that no one could surprise him.) I cooked the refreshments at our neighbors, Louis Anderson’s, and he was thoroughly surprised.

It snowed about 4 inches during that night.

In those days money was scarce, and the price of produce low. To raise money to go on that mission my husband sold seven acres of land Just north of Monroe for fifty dollars. He also sold some of the domestic animals. [Page 44]

The same land, and in no better condition in later years sold for 200 dollars an acre.

My husband left for that mission October, 1881. I was pregnant, and on account of having had such a serious time before, I felt that I could not live through a real birth, so it was very hard for me to part with my husband, not expecting to ever see him again.

For days after he left I thought I would have to send a telegram to the authorities of the church and tell them that it was more than I could endure to have him go under the circumstances.

All our relatives and neighbors were very kind to us; my brother and his wife, and others came and slept at our house until I was more reconciled.

While my husband was gone on that mission the Manti Temple was in course of erection, and Brother Cyrus Wheelock came occasionally to solicit donations for the temple. He would sometimes ask the people to make a statement of just how much they would give during the season. On one occasion Aunt Julia and I put our names down for 25 dollars. That year we only got 27 bu. of grain from the farm of 32 acres, of course there was hay, but the farmer who had the land had made a failure of the grain crop.

We were afraid to let anyone know what we had promised to donate to the temple; they would have thought it ridiculous, with our husband on a foreign mission, and we had to supply him with money, and our resources so small. So we got Julia’s brother Chris to take flour to the store for us, being careful to keep our secret, and in that way we bought material for the outside of quilts. We owned some sheep. We took wool, carded bats, and made quilts and paid our temple donation long before some of the big farmers had paid theirs, and they raised a thousand bu. of grain and a few hundred bushels of potatoes each year.

During the time which our husband was on his mission we held the Y. L. M. I. A. meetings at our home. I was president and Aunt Julia councilor. We had very splendid meetings with a large attendance. The officers occasionally cooked dainty articles of food, and together we visited the sick, and old people, and left at each home a parcel of what we had prepared to cheer them, and let them know they were not forgotten. [Page 45]

One old lady by name of Rich was an invalid for 6 years, and when we came she often cried and said it would be such a blessing if she could die instead of some young person who had passed away Her kindly husband stayed right by her and waited on her all those years. Finally she had faith that if she could be taken to the Manti Temple and baptized 7 times she would be healed. Someone took her there. They had to carry her into the temple from the wagon also into the baptismal font. She was baptized 7 times, and walked from the font and through the halls of the temple singing and praising the Lord.

Some of the temple workers have told me that that was the greatest miracle which had ever happened in the Manti Temple.

A. Letter to My Husband
The Future

Just as I sat me down tonight
The future passed before my view
And I looked forward to behold
The destiny of me and you.
But, as I gazed upon the scene
The vision began to close
And I thought I heard a voice
Which said, go, take thy repose.
The future is not for thee to know
A full view cannot be given.
But, when thou hast accomplished all
And thy soul doth dwell in heaven,
Thou mayest then look back with pride
Upon the days, and years gone by,
And know the source from whence thy strength
And courage came.
When it seemed no one was nigh,
My thoughts then rested upon thee,
For it seems like, thou art almost my earthly all.
Oh canst thou love me in old age
Though sorrow, or misfortune may us befall?
Can thine eyes trace my wrinkled brow
Or gaze upon my feeble form
With that same tenderness and love
As they did in youth’s bright morn?

[Page 46]

And when the winter’s chilling blasts
Have outside all things frozen,
Will there still be a true fond heart
Beating within each bosom?

No comments:

Post a Comment